Now if you wanna be known as work’s funny man / woman? Here are some top tips to help you be the it-person:
• Be friendly. Most people wait for others to make the first move, especially in work relationships. We’re all weird like that. But how do you expect to capture your co-workers’ tears of laughter inside a creepy neck vile if you don’t know them? So start being that girl / guy.
• Be attentive. Following on from above – ask questions, questions and more questions! Remember the details about the individuals you come across. This is what you need in order to build a good reference base for making heart stopping funny.
• Start mixing. Mixing involves combining two ideas to form a new funny idea. @midnight hosted by Chris Hardwick perfectly epitomises an example of this concept. As I write the show’s most popular mix tonight is #BoozingTVShows, a mix of alcohol and television shows! Fans playing the hashtag game have come up with gems like ‘Beers’, ‘Whose Wine Is This Anyway’ and ‘Miller’s Lite Crossing’. Our submission was…’M * A * S * H * E * D’ geddit?
• Do the opposite. If you’re taking the coffee run order and Bob requests a “muffin” read an “apple” back to him. If you bring back an actual apple and Bob gets upset, give him an orange. You still following?
• Make up trivial “lies”. This is where you start to dream up some new scenarios with the information you’ve been learning from your peers. For example, if Natalie is a gym junkie make believe she’s actually a body builder that can’t stop power posing each time she passes your desk. Ya feel?
So there you have it, a few starters to help you fast track your way to becoming the funniest person at work. Now get cracking!